I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to decorate it for Christmas because I didn't want to mess the mantle up, after all it's not mine.
So I went to my faithful friend, Pinterest, and came up with this. I didn't want to do the same exact thing because I really didn't want to paint words on it. And i decided to put a bottom in my box too, so if I wanted to weigh it down I could. That way when I fill the stockings up they wouldn't fall off. So, I set on the couch just staring at the unpainted box, just trying to come up with what I wanted to do.
About the size of the box: it really depends on what size your mantle is and how many stockings you want to hang.
Here's how wide my box is. It's not very wide at all, just to give you an idea.
So, Shannon built the box with more left over wood from the table build. (I'm loving this left over lumber) Then I painted it grey, then red, then sanded it.
Next I added the hooks. You can use fancier hooks but I already had these.
Next, I printed off the letters from here and cut out red card stock to glue the letters on. Then I glued painted clothes pins upside down to hold the letters.
![]() |
This whole project cost me nothing because I used what I already had. Score!




what a fun idea!! great job! your mantle looks beautiful. Stockings can be tricky to hang and this looks like a great way to do it!
ReplyDelete