So the tradition here is to drink colada morada and eat bread dolls. And I must say that the colada morada is very good. If I had to compare it to something in the states it would kinda be like berry cobbler filling. In honor of the holiday our church made colada morada Saturday afternoon for after the service today, and Shannon and I went to the church to watch them make it. It was a great experience and I'm so glad that we went. I mean how often would I ever get to do that?
There's lots of different fruits in Colada Morada.
This is babaco and is only grown here in Ecuador.
This is black corn flour that turns purple when water is added. This is where the drink gets its color, purple. And this does not stain, how cool is that?
Here are the spices.
Shannon getting in on some of the action.
The ladies cutting up all the fruit. During this holiday families get together and make this drink and it is a very special occasion. I think it's cool. (how many times have I used the word cool?)
More fruit, pineapple and strawberries.
Cooking the moras. (Moras are like blackberries)
The finished product and it's very good.
Here are the guaguas. Guagua is Quechua and it means baby or small child. (Quechua is an indian language spoken here.) In English we would call them bread dolls.
Here's a better picture of a doll, not me.
Megan enjoying Colada Morada.












No comments:
Post a Comment